Friday, May 15, 2009

An Unexpected Pleasure

I love movies, fashion and the music of the 1930's. Last week I treated myself to an at-home Norma Shearer movie day: The Women, The Divorcee and The Free Soul, all in an afternoon. I was in my glory, such glamorous women and fashions, delightful dialogue.

Hubby called home yesterday afternoon. Our friend Susan had stopped by his office with tickets for the Turning Stone to see Big Bad Voodoo Daddy. Chris had me on speaker phone so I had to bite back the initial thought that flew into my head: why would I want to see a band with such a strange name? And then Susan said, "They're playing a tribute to Cab Calloway. You'll love them."

And so we were treated to a lovely evening of horns and stand-up bass, fantastic singing, someone playing a real piano (not a keyboard!), an amazing drummer, and an opportunity to watch couples who really knew how to dance. Big Bad Voodoo Daddy did their act in three piece pin-striped suits and even wore what looks like real spats, at least to me. You just had to tap your toes or move some part of your body.

We had seats way in the back of the Showroom, where I love to sit. Susan put it best when she leaned over and said to me, "Don't you just feel as if we're in the Prohibition Days and sitting in some Speakeasy listening to music?" Indeed, I did. When I closed my eyes, I imagined myself in some fancier duds than those I had on, and that the glasses I heard clinking held bath tub gin rather than iced tea and that really was Cab Calloway up there singing "Minnie the Moocher". I was glad it wasn't a smoke filled room though.....that's progress, at least.

Thanks, Susan, for thinking of us! And thanks Big Bad Voodoo Daddy for keeping this music alive! How nice it was to watch a boy of about eleven and his mother singing along....they knew every word to every song. It was a magical evening.

1 comment:

garnett109 said...

big bad voodoo dady does sound familiar to , thanks !