Monday, December 15, 2008

Neighbors

We have several Iraqi neighbors, mostly children and widows. Last night we met an older gentleman outside the laundry room shared by several of the apartments owned by our landlord. As he waited for his laundry to dry, this man helped my husband clear the ice from our porch which those doing laundry must cross to get to the laundry room in the basement.

This morning I ran into him again. He smiled and said hello. Then he pointed at me and said several times with great emotion "I like, I like", nodding his head. I immediately blushed, as he had pointed in the general direction of my chest and I imagined he was commenting on my breasts. But then I remembered that he was NOT an American male....in fact, he had been doing laundry the night before....and when I look down at the sweater I was wearing, I realized what he "liked".

I had buttons on my sweater that were peace signs. I nodded back at him and said, "I like, too."